Point of View: Author Affiliations and References
Deyu Li, Ph.D. is a postdoctoral associate in the Departments of Chemistry and Biological Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Nidhi Shrivastav is a doctoral candidate in the Department of Biological Engineering at MIT. Sirikan Nawapan is a doctoral candidate at the Chulabhorn Graduate Institute in Bangkok, Thailand, and a visiting graduate student at MIT. John M. Essigmann, Ph.D., is the William and Betsy Leitch Professor in the Departments of Chemistry and Biological Engineering, and the Associate Head of the Department of Chemistry, MIT.
- Shrivastav,N., Li,D., and Essigmann,J.M. (2010) Chemical biology of mutagenesis and DNA repair: cellular responses to DNA alkylation. Carcinogenesis, 31, 59-70.
- Trewick,S.C., Henshaw,T.F., Hausinger,R.P., Lindahl,T., and Sedgwick,B. (2002) Oxidative demethylation by Escherichia coli AlkB directly reverts DNA base damage. Nature, 419, 174-178.
- Falnes,P.O., Johansen,R.F., and Seeberg,E. (2002) AlkB-mediated oxidative demethylation reverses DNA damage in Escherichia coli. Nature, 419, 178-182.
- Sedgwick,B., Bates,P.A., Paik,J., Jacobs,S.C., and Lindahl,T. (2007) Repair of alkylated DNA: Recent advances. DNA Repair, 6, 429-442.
- Aas,P.A., Otterlei,M., Falnes,P.O., Vagbo,C.B., Skorpen,F., Akbari,M., Sundheim,O., Bjoras,M., Slupphaug,G., Seeberg,E., and Krokan,H.E. (2003) Human and bacterial oxidative demethylases repair alkylation damage in both RNA and DNA. Nature, 421, 859-863.
- Ougland,R., Zhang,C.M., Liiv,A., Johansen,R.F., Seeberg,E., Hou,Y.M., Remme,J., and Falnes,P.O. (2004) AlkB restores the biological function of mRNA and tRNA inactivated by chemical methylation. Molecular Cell, 16, 107-116.
- Topal,M.D. and Baker,M.S. (1982) DNA precursor pool – A significant target for N-Methyl-N-Nitrosourea in C3H/10T1/2 clone 8 cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 79, 2211-2215.
- Maki,H. and Sekiguchi,M. (1992) MutT protein specifically hydrolyzes a potent mutagenic substrate for DNA-synthesis. Nature, 355, 273-275.
- Loeb,L.A., Essigmann,J.M., Kazazi,F., Zhang,J., Rose,K.D., and Mullins,J.I. (1999) Lethal mutagenesis of HIV with mutagenic nucleoside analogs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 96, 1492-1497.
- Harris,K.S., Brabant,W., Styrchak,S., Gall,A., and Daifuku,R. (2005) KP-1212/1461, a nucleoside designed for the treatment of HIV by viral mutagenesis. Antiviral Research, 67, 1-9.